Monday, May 18, 2020

Lesson: How NOT to Pose

Let's talk a little about posing. In this case, we'll use a Mini Rex for a low head mount compact example because it's typically I see Mini Rex getting abused. *I will elaborate further on HOW to pose later.
Hand Off Pose

The goal in posing rabbits is having them sit still without touching them. In the first picture, my hand is not on his face. He's sitting there all on his own accord. This isn't a conversation about type here, but he's well typed ENOUGH that he can physically sit properly. That picture more or less shows his type well.

Sometimes it's attention span that keeps a rabbit from sitting still. But after a while, you can tell when it's a physical deformity that causes a rabbit to "pop up" off the table. A narrow chest will cause a rabbit to lift its head to expand its lungs in order to breathe properly. You can push that rabbit's head down to the table all you want, but it will FIGHT YOU. In my barn, that's a cull. Sometimes, a rabbit will keep its head low enough, but pop its elbows up off the table. This is often caused by a poor shoulder. If a rabbit will not keep its elbows down, I'd also consider that a cull. Your goal is to get the rabbit to sit still properly for evaluation.

Hands on Pose
In the second picture, I posted my usual "hands on" type picture. Not ideal in the least bit, but I am not pushing on his head or shoulders. Note the placement of my thumb. It is not over the ears, over the shoulder, or along the leg. I'm simply holding my fingers to his forehead to keep him still. You can see his type isn't skewed from the first picture.

Smash Pose
In the third picture, I did my best to replicate smashing his head into the table. He wasn't happy, so I couldn't go as extreme as a lot of pictures that I see. But why wouldn't he be unhappy? His head. Is getting smashed. Into the table. It's popping his elbows up, pulling his shoulders forward, and causing his hindquarters to slope off. You should not have to do this to a rabbit to get it to pose.

In the fourth picture, I did my best to replicate the single most annoying pet peeve in my book. I am wrapping my fingers completely around his head, over his neck, and pulling everything forward. This poor boy had no idea what to make of it and I almost thought I wasn't pulling it off. Never place your thumb over the shoulder or neck when posing or taking a picture. This makes his shoulders look incredibly long and is making him pull his hind feet forward to balance himself.

Pet Peeve Pose
In general, be firm but gentle. Practice often. If a rabbit fights a pose, it's probably never going to pose properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment